The main difference between translation and interpretation services lies in medium involved. Translation involves written content and interpretation the spoken word.
Main kinds of interpretation:
Interpretation in which the interpreter speaks simultaneously from inside a cabin. Listeners hear the translation in the desired language through headphones. This is the most convenient method for large events such as:
- Board meetings
In this case, the interpretation takes place after the speaker has finished talking. The interpreter is usually with the speaker and translates what has been said after a certain time. This method is the most advisable for:
- Business meetings
- Working lunches
- Press conferences
The interpreter whispers into the ear of the interested party. It is suitable for meetings and events involving few people, such as:
- Residents’ association meetings
- Guided tours
- Bilateral meetings
Official sworn interpretation
Consecutive interpretation in official events that must be carried out by a sworn interpreter authorized by the Foreign Office. Takes place in official acts such as:
- Notarial acts or signatures
- Court cases
- Official acts
Qualities of an interpreter
The main qualities of a good interpreter are:
- An in-depth knowledge of the languages and specific, practical training in interpretation
- Excellent concentration and memory
- Ability to improvise and be perceptive
- Sense of diplomacy
- Ability to keep calm
- Acceptable voice and appearance
Qualities of a translator
The main qualities that a good translator must possess are:
- In-depth knowledge of the language they translate into, wherever possible their mother tongue.
- Qualifications and experience in translation.
- Specialized knowledge of specific subject matters to become a specialist in one kind of translation.
- Well-organised and responsible, ensuring that deadlines are met.
Marbella Translators provides you with top professionals to ensure that your interpretation and translation projects are of the highest quality.